Monday, March 31, 2014

WHAT MAKES A LEADER TRULY GREAT?


On Saturday mornings, I dedicate five hours of my day to a group of young girls. I am a Girl Scout leader. And though I would never compare myself to my other co-leaders, I often wonder if the girls in our group would consider me a good leader? Do I do a good enough job of teaching them the leadership skills they need to become successful? More importantly, what makes a good leader, and do I exemplify that for my girls?

CNN recently had a piece called The World's 50 Greatest Leaders. It is an incredible piece, filled with some of the most influential people in the world. Pope Francis set the Catholic church in a new direction, attracting numerous admires, including atheist. The Dalai Lama has campaigned for peace. He promotes non-violence, and seeks reconciliation among the world. Malala Yousafzai stood up to the Taliban at 11 years old. She was shot on her school bus at 15. All for the educational rights of female's in her country. The list is full of incredibly influential, and inspiring people. And among them is our very own captain, Derek Jeter.


I need to stress the fact that the list has an incredible wealth of individuals that are inspiring. I do not want to devalue our captain. Quite the opposite in fact. I think it is amazing that he made the list. Jeter should be honored to be listed among so many great people. Listed at number 11, just two spots below the Dalai Lama's number 9 spot. I'm seriously in awe! As Yankee fans, we all know that Jeter is an incredible leader. He sets an example. He doesn't just stand there and say "Go do this!" He goes out and does it himself.

"In a steroid-tainted, reality-TV era, Jeter, the son of two Army veterans, continues to stand out because of his old-school approach: Never offer excuses or give less than maximum effort."

Yep, that about sums it up. I remember going to a game where I sat directly behind the Yankees dugout. When it came time to take the field, Jeter was always the first one to run out, and even watching at home, I have noticed that this is true.


But these are things that we pick up on because we are Yankees fans. My brother isn't at all a sports fan. I had to spend some time to explain why Jeter's position on the list was deserved. I had to explain his character, how he carries himself on and off the field. How he represents the team, and himself as an individual. I realized that he exemplifies everything I believe a leader should be. The same characteristics I respected in players like Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, Mariano Rivera, and Jorge Posada. Regardless of what he is facing he will "Grind it!" He gives his absolute best in everything he does. He has heart, and motivates everyone else around him to play just as hard.

It's strange to me how we measure the worth of one individual against another. What makes one author better than another? One musician more talented than the next? Is there really a number scale which we can use to accurately place individuals? Or is it all subjective? Is it fair to call one person better at a particular position than another?


Maybe it is all subjective. Your definition of a good leader could differ greatly from mine. But there is one thing we can all agree on. A great leader does great things. A great leader sets an incredible example, and walks with their peers, not ahead of them. Jeter fits the bill. I may never end up on the World's 50 Greatest Leaders list. I only hope to inspire a few young girls to make the same list that Derek Jeter once graced. His spot on this list in a hard earned honor, well deserved.


--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017