Tuesday, January 28, 2014

WITH BRANDON STENHOUSE, PASSION & HEART WINS


The story of 17 year old Brandon Stenhouse is very special.  But, like I've written here so many times before on BYB... if you dream big, you can be big, but you can't just stop on one step... you need to push yourself and "climb the mountain".  I've often admired the guts of guys like Jorge Posada and Ty Hensley for exactly that. Anything can be accomplished, you just need to believe in yourself.  Something big happened to an Australian teen named Brandon Stenhouse.  He worked hard, believed in himself and had big dreams too. He wanted to one day pitch for the New York Yankees.  And then... something happened.  The Yankees answered the call... dreams do come true. People take chances on the ones that prove their worth. That's how it works...

It's being reported everywhere, but we'll go with the New York Post on this one:


"Brandon Stenhouse, 17, has realized a childhood dream, inking a six-figure deal with the Bronx Bombers. The right-hander could go from suburban pitcher to global star after signing the deal this week with American scouts who flew to Australia to see him play. 'It’s still sinking in and I was a bit nervous signing the contract but it is a dream come true,' he said. 'I was never sure it was going to happen.'

Stenhouse started playing tee-ball at 4 years old and caught the eye of scouts in the past two years by consistently clocking pitching speeds approaching 93 mph..."

I know... you're looking at the part where it read that he started playing tee-ball at 4.  Now you're looking at your own son or daughter and thinking, "So you're saying there's a chance."  Well, sure there's a chance, but there's more to it than forcing your kid to play ball.  He or she has gotta want it.

Remember Ty Hensley? This is a picture of him that his mother gave me to put up when we wrote a post called BELIEVE & DREAM BIG. It speaks volumes. No one know what Ty could accomplish at this age... he did though.

Look, I believe in working hard when trying to achieve your goals.  It's funny, growing up in my neighborhood, it was always about "heart" and "pride" and "doing for yourself."  I remember being a kid and we were in a town diner.  There were 2 blue collar guys at the counter.  One said, "I'll buy your breakfast." The other snapped back, "No, I'm perfectly capable of buying my own breakfast."  Now you can look at that and not see the big picture. I do. The second man earned the money to buy his own breakfast and he wanted to do it for himself... no handouts, he earned it... you understand?  When you work hard for what you want, you want to do it on your own... you want to climb the mountain on your own.  Sure, you want support, but in this world, you need to challenge yourself.  It ain't easy, but the quicker you know and understand that, the better you are.

Do you think when BYB started I wanted to quit? Sure I did, it crossed my mind.  Sure, I was curious of what we could become when we started, but I also knew that my life would change, I'd have less time for my family. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. I also knew that if I did go through with it, I would be successful.  In fact, that thought never left my mind. Now, 3 years later, we have a huge readership and it started with just me.  Bottom line, I knew I could make something out of a little blog that only a few people read.  I called the the doubters bluff... I proved them wrong and will continue too. My parents raised me right.

But back to Brandon Stenhouse for a second... confidence rules. Heart and passion were burning in this kid... and over time, scouts came around for the next big thing, him.   Now that he's made it, it ain't over, trust me.  No one made that more clearer to me than my friend, Marci Hensley who explained to me "making it and staying there" is the hardest thing to do for these kids.  It's never easy to get there, but if you make it, it just gets more challenging. But it's your dream and so you push as hard as you can.  Ty Hensley is a product of that... his parents raised him right.


It's all around us, you know.  You want inspiration, look around you. Hollywood even cashes in on it.  It's that "Underdog worked and the Champion didn't" mentality... in the end, Apollo Creed's on the canvas... Rudy dresses for Notre Dame...


Derek Jeter becomes a 5 time World Champion... and a 17 year old who's been playing baseball since he's been 4 has worked his tail off providing results... enough to get noticed and get signed by the New York Yankees...

Yes Ladies and gentlemen... when you wish upon a star... and never take anything less than perfection... dreams do come true.   Don't believe me? You should.  Tip your cap to the believer... they'll always win... scratching and clawing, they always win. Because passion and heart always beats complacency...

Congrats to Brandon Stenhouse. I don't even know you, but I'm already proud.  Go get'um kid... win.

Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fasted growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017