Monday, April 29, 2013

REINVENTING THE YANKEE WALK-UP SONGS: PART III


You probably have already read the world famous REINVENTING THE YANKEES WALK UP SONGS, PART 1 & PART 2. Now it's my turn to give my input on some songs for our boys as they approach the plate. I'm going right down the line up in a game day order, and yes, I'm also including the Captain as well as Francisco Cervelli, even though he's out for the next 6 weeks with a broken hand.


First up is Ichiro. Metropolis by David Guetta and Nicky Romero.



This song may not contain lyrics, but instrumentally it's a loosen up song. But so is Ichiro, not a man of many words, just action, nevertheless a loose guy in the clubhouse.



Up next is Derek Jeter who normally is the # 2 guy. I Get Money by 50 Cent is the tune and without a doubt, Jeter is an iconic figure not just in New York sports, but in New York everything! In this song, you hear "I run New York!"  I don't think many will have a problem with Derek making such a proclamation even though he's not the type to say it.


In the 3rd spot we have Robinson Cano. Juego Mental by Lobo. Robbie is a person who is very proud of his Dominican heritage, so to me it's fitting that a song like this would play on the loud speakers at The House. It has a real good beat, and will get people to dance a little as he makes his way to the plate. A good song to wake up the crowd.



In the clean up spot we have Kevin Youkilis. How Ya Like Me Now by Kool Moe Dee. The title says it all. Why? Because, Youkilis has been on fire at the plate. So this title is a direct question at Yankee fans who were aching over the signing. How do you like him now, that he is hitting and helping us win games? Me, I've loved it all along. I am not afraid to admit it, I always liked Kevin and sure, he's battling a back issue, but the guy will be back hitting consistently, I know it.



Batting 5th, Vernon Wells. It Ain't Over Til it's Over by DJ Khaled feat. Mary J. Blige. How ironic, a song title that's a famous Yogi Berra quote. Well, for Vernon, he's been doing his part on the team too. I say not too shabby for a guy who experts say is pretty much done. Wells still has something left in the tank, and he will continue to display it for as long as he can. Keep it up Wells, half the lies they say about you, aren't true!


Onto the 6th man, we have Travis Hafner. Unforgiven by Metallica. I always thought of Pronk as a guy who hits the ball like he's angry at it. Like he has some personal vendetta, so with a swing of the bat he sends it off with a "TAKE THAT" manner. I picked Unforgiven as to say Pronk is going up to bat to show no mercy. I like that demeanor, it makes for runs, runs, and more runs.



The 7th guy, Eduardo Nunez. My Time by Fabolous. I said it in my most recent BYB piece, IT'S NUNEZ TIME!... Eduardo is our shortstop until Jeter comes back. That's it. He needs to make the best of every start at short. This song is that motivator everyone could use when facing a challenging task, and trying to fill big shoes like Nunez is doing right now.


Batting 8th, Francisco Cervelli. Let's Go by Calvin Harris feat. Neyo. Cisco is always one guy to rally everyone in the dugout to get things going. He motivates and encourages. I remember during a game in 2009 where he hit a HR, as he ran the bases he pointed to the dugout as if to say "Let's pick it up... I hit, we all hit." This goes well with Cervelli's ethic as a team player. Get well soon Cisco, we need you pal!


And last but certainly not least, batting 9th is Brett Gardner. Life in the Fast Lane by The Eagles. Well, Gardner is known to fly around the bases. Having all that speed in the sport of baseball is a gift. Especially as one of the speediest guys in the line up, you know it's all about life in the fast lane when you're required to steal those bases to get into scoring position.

So there you have it. My playlist for some of our Yankees on the line up card. I hope you enjoyed this installment as much as I did putting it together for you. What songs would you select for some of the guys?

Let us know, comment.  We look forward to reading your input.




-- Rudy Laurens, BYB Writer
Facebook: House of Champions



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017