Sunday, February 26, 2012

WHY CAN'T ALL ATHLETES BE LIKE NICK SWISHER?

How can you NOT like Nick Swisher. He's not only a fan favorite in the Bronx, but when asked about what he thinks about being a free agent at the end of the 2012 season, he answers in a way that you just want to reach out and give him a hug. The Associated Press has his quote HERE:

“I’m not thinking about that. I don’t care. I’ve got a great job. I make good money. My wife makes good money. Money’s not a big thing for us. I do what I love, and that’s coming here to the ballpark and playing ball every day. Whatever’s going to happen is going to happen. I wish I could write in a book and script it out. I’d be here for the rest of my career.”
Think about that for a second... We're fans, but most likely we've never wandered and rooted like a die-hard for any other team other than the New York Yankees. We love our team and for a guy like Nick Swisher who's only been in New York since 2009 to sit there and say he'd want to be in the Bronx for the rest of his career means one thing, it's the fans that make him love it here...he can feel it. Sure, you can play well for a team, but he's done that already... in Oakland. But now in New York he's playing well for a team again, but this time, he has all of us hypnotized with his fun and energetic nature, plus, he knows how to get a pie in the face. We, the best fans in the world embraced this lively guy to the point of no return. We love Nick Swisher in New York and there is no reason why he shouldn't stick around in New York after 2012. The question is, will the Yankees want him too because lord knows many of the fans do.

But there is something else about what Nick told the AP today which really stuck with me... the money thing. Look, this is my take on athletes and money. Athletes with big egos don't talk about the money, they prey on it. They'll usually talk about how they'll "look at all options on the table and do what's best for them and their family." How many times have you heard that before? Then, they go out and sign the biggest contract they can find. Nick's different in my mind. Nick Swisher clearly isn't about ego. He plays baseball because he loves what he does for a living...he loves the game! What other athlete have you ever heard say "Money's not a big thing for us." Not too many. Folks, remember that quote at the end of 2012.The love for Nick is enormous in New York and those quotes from Swisher stem from us ladies and gentlemen. He feels the love and wants to deliver for us every time. You have to respect that. After reading that, I'd let Swish cling to the Yankees as long as he wants. There is a mutual affection and I just hope Swish kicks ass this season and when the time comes at the end of 2012, he sticks by what he believes and ego doesn't creep in. Hopefully come contract time, he goes with his heart and not with his wallet. That my friends will prove that Nick Swisher is the real deal... that's my take anyway.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017