Thursday, January 27, 2011

WHY I LIKE BENCH VETERANS

As of this afternoon, the Orioles have made an offer to Vladimir Guerrero. This according to MLB Trade Rumors.

Now, this sounds ridiculous but hear me out.

Scenerio: Yanks vs. Evil Red Sox, 15th inning as it normally goes. Sox go up by 1 on a solo home run from Dustin Pedroia. Bottom of the 15th, Teixeira singles. Eduardo Nunez comes in to pinch run. And now they announce: "Pinch hitting... Number 99, Vladimir Guerrero, Number 99."

Vlad walks out, no batting gloves, just pure strength. He steps up to the plate and cranks one out off Bard to win the game, walk off style.

Word on the street is Vlad, who wanted a 2 year contract worth in the $15 million range has softened his demands to 1 year and $8 million. Sadly, I would never pay $8 million for Vladimir. I would however pay $3 or $4 million for him. Why you ask, right? Why would I want him on the bench and waste him? Listen, Vlad is still a great hitter, but, down the stretch last year he slumped. It happens. Anyway, we already have a 4th outfielder in Andruw Jones right? Plus, Jorge's our DH. But this is the piece of the puzzle that needs a slight "muscle" upgrade: The bench. The bench is made up of who... Nunez, Ramiero Pena, maybe Colin Curtis, maybe Greg Golson, maybe Francisco Cervelli? Following me? Youth is great, but I like the idea of a Tony Clark type player in there. A Chili Davis type, you know? Someone to keep it real, to be a teacher. Plus, Vlad's stock has gone down in the Free Agent market and if no one goes after him, he's going to have to lower his expectations.
Besides, we would always use someone like Vlad who can come through in the clutch. That's Vlad. It's silly perhaps, but I'm thinking out of the box. Look, we are the Yankees, not the Royals, we can do this.

I know, I know, Pitching. I know, I've been preaching pitching for months. But my point is Vlad would be cheap enough so we can still add pitching. Plus, if he totally sucked ass, we could always attempt to unload him and Sergio Mitre at the trade deadline. How'd you like the way I snuck that in ;)

Any thoughts? Let me know, comment.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017