Thursday, November 18, 2010

WHY CC GOT SHAFTED

You know my thoughts on this. I'm fuming. What in the world are the credentials for a Cy Young award? Being able to win when your team sucks? Felix is a great pitcher. He's 24, he's dominant and congratulations to him, but he doesn't deserve the Cy Young.

But that's not the worst of it though. The worst part is CC got 3rd in the voting. Are you kidding me? David Price got 2nd. Now if anything, Price and CC should have been 1 and 2. I would have been fine with that. I just don't understand. I feel like the fix is in.

Felix Hernandez receiving 21 of the votes. CC Sabathia received 3 first place votes and finished 3rd in the overall voting behind Felix and David Price.

Hernandez was either first or second in the league in baseball everything, and I guess that is the cryteria, but that just means to me that the voters glance at wins and move on. I guess it really doesn't matter if you win 21 games all year, because if the others only win 13, you may win the WINS category, but if the other guys ERA is lower, you're done. And strikes out? Yeah, you're K's number is lower so, another strike against you. If you look at the numbers overall, it is clear to me who the winner is.

Now, my Mets fan friend Dan laughed at me in an email today saying "Oh you Yankee Fans and your awards." He was clearly mocking me and my obsession with wanting CC to get the Cy Young. But let's face the facts, if CC weren't in it, and Price, Buchholz, Lester and King Felix we're competing, I'd go with Price. Hell, I may even go with Lester! Wait a minute, no I wouldn't, I hate the Red Sox... But you see my point. A pitcher that wins their team the most wins clearly should get some type of extra credit here. That is an enormous feat. I guess the voters are showing a bias against the Yankees again. I guess they just assume the Yankees always win anyway and "My God, it must have been so hard for Felix to get 13 wins on such a sucky team. He really worked hard." Gag Gag.

Look at the candidates and their numbers OVERALL. You tell me who you would have chosen for the Cy Young?
  • CC Sabathia, Yankees: 21-7, 3.18 ERA, 197 K's, 237 2/3 IP
  • David Price, Rays: 19-6, 2.72 ERA, 188 K's, 208 2/3 IP
  • Jon Lester, Red Sox: 19-9, 3.25 ERA, 225 K's, 208 IP
  • Trevor Cahill, A's: 18-8, 2.97 ERA, 118 K's, 196 2/3 IP
  • Justin Verlander, Tigers: 18-9, 3.37 ERA, 219 K's, 224 1/3 IP
  • Clay Buchholz, Red Sox: 17-7, 2.33 ERA, 120 K's, 173 2/3 IP
  • Felix Hernandez, Mariners: 13-12, 2.27 ERA, 232 K's, 249 2/3 IP
  • Jered Weaver, Angels: 13-12, 3.01 ERA, 233 K's, 224 1/3 IP
  • Rafael Soriano, Rays: 3-2, 1.73 ERA, 45 saves, 57 K's, 62 1/3 IP
  • Joakim Soria, Royals: 1-2, 1.78 ERA, 43 saves, 71 K's, 65 2/3 IP
Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

2 comments:

  1. Your argument that wins should be stronger is complete nonsense. Look at it this way, if Felix had been a Yankee this year with his same stats, how many wins would have had then? If CC were a Mariner, how many losses would he have had? Wins are a team stat, we care about pitcher stats now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017